With the holidays fast approaching and with our lives getting busier both in the office and out, it can sometimes be difficult to keep the momentum going and to keep focussed on the New Year. With a busy work day, deadlines before the end of the year, internal and external meetings, events in the evenings and social activities, it can feel like there are many priorities to juggle!
Here are a few simple tips that I like to follow to keep my focus and motivation throughout the well dubbed “Silly Season”.
- Plan – Preparation is key! Make a list of priorities and ensure your non-negotiables are done first thing. Time management is a great tool to stay on top of the to-do list and know what you have left to do before the New Year.
- Set goals – Without setting goals, it’s hard to know what you should be achieving and where your energy should be going. There is no better feeling than ticking an item off of the to do list!
- Reward yourself – Give yourself mini rewards, whether it is a new dress/shirt or a nice Friday lunch at that restaurant you have had your eye on, it is always a motivator to know at the end of your hard work you will have a little win.
- Work as a team – “Team work makes the dream work!” Get others involved with keeping motivated and work together as a team.
- Have fun! – This is a really important one, enjoy what you are doing both inside and outside of work. It’s all about the balance and when you know you are balancing a busy day with socialising and seeing friends, you know your energy is being well distributed and balance is being maintained.
- Clean your desk – This sounds like a cliché but I do believe that a clean desk is a clean mind. Throw away that pile of paper that you know is not important, file away important documents to refer back to, clean away anything that doesn’t need to be there and I promise, you will notice a difference.
- Stay fit – Keeping active is a great way to maintain a healthy body and mind and to get you motivated for the day! Whether it is walking to or from work, going for a swim, joining a class or going to the gym, I always notice my energy levels increase when I have been doing something active!
With only a few short weeks until Christmas, it can be easy to lose track of time but follow a couple of the above tips and you will be starting the New Year off on the right foot!
If you require temporary staff or are looking for temporary work, please reach out to me on email@example.com or 02 8274 4617